PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saudi Landing Permits - New Rules?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2014, 17:43
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This rule has not only been affecting foreign charter operators, but foreign management companies managing aircraft that are wholly owned by a Saudi individual or company. You can ferry in for a private owner, but only after a lengthy discussion between the owner's office and the GACA, presenting evidence of aircraft ownership etc.

For ferrying to collect passengers on a charter, unless there is a passenger on the manifest when applying for the Saudi permits the permits will not be granted. For most of the Gulf companies who operate on a Part 121 style AOC, will this mean having to apply for 5th freedom rights in Saudi to pick up paying passengers and fly them to their onward destination??

The rumour I heard is that this is only a temporary 'overkill' barring even the legit foreign charter operators from ferrying in. I heard there is someone in an acting capacity at the top and it is through this gentleman where the immediate change came into affect. Once he steps down, we can expect some of these changes to be relaxed. That's what I heard anyway.

The Grey market is a big issue there so I would expect there will still be a change in procedures, but maybe to a lesser extent that there has been now.

On a different note, have you heard of the new bar procedures?... Caution when you fly into Saudi even with a sealed bar if your next leg is a domestic sector. They confiscate your bar at your port of entry and only return it to you when you depart from your entry airport to a foreign destination. For example flying from Europe into Jeddah and then out again you'll be fine. Flying from Europe to Jeddah, on to Riyadh then out will mean your bar remains in Jeddah...even on a short turnaround.

Cheers!