PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones - the future
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:42
Singe25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Drones co-locating with helicopters

I am involved in urban search and rescue and there is no doubt in my mind that both helicopters and drones have a place in response to these type of incidents.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, I would agree that in only a few years time, the authorities may well sit in a a control suit piloting a drone for all manner of tasks.

Does that mean helicopters will become obsolete? Of course not, the need to transport personnel and equipment whilst using the advantages of wide area survey will always be there.

However we are exploring the use of drones closer to the collapsed buildings, operating ably a few metres above the structure and not impacting on the rubble.

The simplicity of drones and the vast cost reduction makes them very attractive.
We have even experimented with the cheaper commercial drones, seen by many as toys and yet they produce live feed that can be easily recorded and control on an iPad.

Few people would be more enthusiastic about helicopters and recently drones and I look forward to working with both.

If other have used them in this line of work, I'd be interested to hear from you.