PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 10:35
Stalins ugly Brother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone in Qantas international needs any more indication, the latest "splitting the business" leaks shows it is all over via a multi-move coup de gras.
I think you might want to educate yourself a little bit more than reading puff pieces from the QF spin machine.

Firstly, Qantas would only split the business and duplicate the Virgin model ONLY if the 100% foreign ownership restrictions were lifted. Purely because it is a to expensive exercise to only attract 49% foreign investment. Under Virgins structure they comply with the air navigations act internationally and ownership laws domestically, they don't have a sales act that restricts foreign ownership on their share registry so they can go to 100%.

The Air navigation act isn't the issue in QF's case. QF's issue is that the QSA only allows a foreign entity to own 49% of Qantas PTY LTD on the share registry, so it doesn't matter how many companies QF split into only 49% on the registry can be purchased and that 49% would cover all the individual segments that QF had split into. To emulate Virgin from this point in time wouldn't be impossible but would be time consuming and way to expensive to contemplate considering the right downs and losses already rumoured for this year. To me this won't be the road the current management will follow.

So to me the only real options for QF is to show significant future growth, profit and the books balanced and in the black to attract cashed up foreign entities.
Enter the Chinese Carriers and my guess is that we will see the 787s in the not to distant future with Red tails and current QF pilots at the helm, T&Cs will be the only unknown.

So no matter how much of a bitter pill it is for some on here to see QF international continue in the future and the mainline pilots to have a job, QF group needs the INT arm just as much as it needs DOM,the regionals and a LCC.

Qf is a 4 legged table, if one of the legs breaks the whole lot will fall over.

........ For the pilots; leave if you're on the long haul award and have anywhere to go.
Thats just a stupid and uneducated comment, grow up!