PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 09:37
KatSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"we thought it was parachutes"

I think someone posted this yesterday, but I didn't read it at the time (it's in Italian).

«Così è stato colpito l’aereo» - Corriere.it

Long and short of it is, the writer interviewed a young separatist at the refrigerated-train station , who told him his unit had shot down a plane belonging to Kiev. The soldier was not at the BUK . He was loaded onto a truck and told "we" had just shot down the plane. White objects were seen floating down from it, which they thought were enemy soldiers escaping by parachute. They were driven to the site to capture or fight these enemy.

On arrival they discovered the white falling items were civilians (the first he found was a girl aged about 5) and the luggage was not military equipment. They started opening things to find out for sure. And after that his unit guarded the scene all day and night.

The writer comments on the innocent simplicity of how the story was told, a genuine narrative; the speaker a local resident, 31 year old former coal miner.

This fits with the early videos, the bags opened, the handful of passports, the comments "these are civilians, these are foreigners, who let them fly here?" the officer blessing himself after replacing the toy. Of course officially by then they were denying having such a weapon.

The separatists are going to lose, sooner rather than later. In places where people feel a need to take up arms to get what they see as fair treatment, losing usually puts them in an even worse situation. In 3 or 4 months' an offer full and frank disclosure about MH17 may save a lot of their lives. (Yeah I know there is no death penalty in Ukraine. But there's plenty of easy death).