PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 06:45
JakartaDean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M1 or M2?

Amizaur said:
Here is a video showing how an engagement looks like for operators of a Buk-M1 Launcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXMhaFntrU

At 1.19 we see the operator's consoles, horizontal situation being displayed on the larger, circular orange display. I'm not sure what the right retangular orange display is for - vertical situation, precise target tracking, missile tracking ?
There is also a green oscilloscop-like display - not sure what it does, and a TV display for targeting using a visual channel.

From 1.24 to 1.29 we see a target engagement on the circular display - first the radar is scanning wide 120deg horizontal sector (7deg in elevation), we see a blip of a target detected. As the target is selected, the scanning is quickly reduced to 10deg zone, and just after that - target is locked on and the beam is tracking it.

All this looks quite "analog" - no syntetic situation display with computer generated target markers tagged with speed and altitude data - only analog "blips" on radar, the range is determined by the radar display grid, the speed - probably by the rate of movement on the display, and the altitude of the target - well, I have no idea if it's displayed anywhere ? Maybe after the target is locked on, some numerical or at least analog data about speed, course and altitude is calculated and displayed... somwhere....
The video you linked to is the M1, or "Gadfly" in Nato terminology. What I've seen around here and elsewhere refers to the Grizzly. This link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXScnEKaP0 shows the M2 in operation.

If you pause the video right at 22 seconds you can see some form of IFF, but I'm not sure what it is saying. I'm also not sure if Ukraine and Russia still share the same type of "friend" designation in their IFF systems. Does anyone know?