PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 01:24
Stanley11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good point indeed , the real concern for Malaysia is the impact this bad luck/bad karma has in their main, ie Asian market , where such things are taken very seriously indeed.
I spoke to a friend who is a tour operator. This is extremely unfortunate for MAS. They were still reeling from the MH370, how they handled it (the Shaman dance display), going down in history for the most mysterious air disaster. In order to gain back some market share (already a non-profitable airline), they had slashed prices to the bone marrow. Now with another incident of this magnitude and worse still, in Europe, it might be the nail in the coffin for MAS. My friend is already seeing customers asking for refunds or changing carriers not so much because they worry about another accident, but they are worried that MAS will be defunct before their travel.
This is akin to the 'run on the bank' but it does not stop there. I suspect pilots and crew will also start to flow out. Being a national carrier, it would be a very hard decision for the Government. I reckon that it will be at minimum be a rename, redesign of the logo or paintwork. Something to give the airline a new image. One thing for sure is, tickets will be real cheap in the coming months.