PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 23:14
AreOut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
copied from another forum, hard to argue with this :

"It's quite possible the separatist have been given enough knowledge to operate the system but that the trainers never foresaw the possibility of a civilian airliner in a war zone and didn't bother to teach all of features contained in the system. The operators may have carried out procedures they were trained for but lacked the competence to use the system to it's fullest capability. Or there may have been one former member of the Ukrainian army instructing separatist that wasn't up to the workload and misidentified the target. I can think up several scenarios that don't require this to be an intentional attack on a civilian aircraft or direct responsibility. I don't think we currently have enough information to make a determination."

The Dutch Royal Marines are quite capable of securing the entire crash area and as a full NATO member they would have overwhelming support and I'm assuming the blessing of the Ukrainian government. I certainly wouldn't allow the remains of my citizens to rot in a field while the "rebels" posture.
huh, this is real life not a movie...there are thousands of fully armed rebels with combat experience antitank weapons heavy artillery and as it seems anti-air support, it's not some african al qaeda village...