PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 08:43
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
This is a very sad and tragic story for the families of the lost and also Malaysian Airlines who might be badly run at the top but from my modest experience of them have some very dedicated staff. Bad enough to lose two 777s close together but overlay Asian superstitions and it could look very bleak for the company (I am not criticising or stereotyping here but bad luck /ill fortune is looked on a bit differently than in the west.

It seems highly likely that the plane was downed by a Ukraine Gov or UK rebel missile fired recklessly , criminal recklessness but not deliberate intent to shoot down a third country airliner.

Will the truth come out cleanly, not at all sure , neither Russia not US have clean hands in this department do they , Korean 007 and Iran Air Airbus respectively deny them both the moral high ground and both those incidents happened with organised and sophisticated integrated air defence systems with complex ROE.

The saddest thing though is that for the most part the airlines have played fast and loose with PAX lives for a good few years by taking chances with overflying or skirting dangerous areas. In this case it seems someone was very happy with a tiny margin for error , airspace closed up to FL320 so FL330 must be Ok then . Turned around a little it could be said that if either Ukraine side shot at a military jet at 320 missed it and brought down this 777 then that would have been perfectly acceptable accident -I don't think so.