PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max All Up Weight AS350/EC120/R66/206
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 13:26
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EC120 MTOW 1715KG without external hook. However the weight of the aircraft varies by fit:

Lux cabin?
Air con?
Pop-out floats?

My basic weight at zero fuel is 1145 leaving 570kg payload. Max 315kg fuel leaves just 255 for PAX so we are talking 3 people in a 5 seat machine - and no bags!

More often I fly 3-5 PAX and fuel under 200kg. Last trip (4x adults with bags) from Redhill to Aberdeen we could load to 220kg fuel, so stops in Humberside and then Cumbernauld (no fuel at Aberdeen site).

Looking at my log book, over the past six months almost all flights have been 1600+Kg and a number were MTOW. At the top-end weights she lifts into the hover OK but transition to flight must be gentle. If you stab at the right peddle or pull too much cyclic the regulator anticipates the need for additional power and adds fuel which will spike the torque. Even the very smallest over-torque is registered on the VMED and cannot be cancelled by the pilot. Then you get the bill for inspection / remedy!

Interestingly, this "spy in the cab" feature means that pilots are careful and she does not get over-torqued. I suppose that with machines using a less robust system there might be momentary over-torques that don't get noticed, or don't get reported if they are noticed, and you can never be as sure about the condition of the gearbox.