PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 10:45
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

A. I call BS. Some very reliable and highly placed sources indicate that the J* psych standard was changed circa 2007ish due lack of applicants that fit the previous (Qantas? ) standard. I'd put my house on the reliability of this source. Who else did it apply to? I've spoken to Qantas recruiters from that time and Qantas mainline certainly didn't lower their standard.

I'll take your word on b and c though I will offer one comment. Previous CPs have stated that under no circumstances would they ever consider having DE cadets into the RHS of mainline aeroplane. "Just not worth the risk" was one direct quote. It doesn't seem to hold up to the 'adheres to all the safety standards of Qantas' when Jetstar does something that Qantas is sits is simply too risky. Similar to two pilot back of the clock ops. QF risk assessment says 'no'. J* says 'no problemo'.

767 COM training is 9 sims if you have an endorsement and 14 (I think) if you don't. Can't remember the sectors required now either. Not sure how that compares with Jetstar.

G. Since when? We've needed it for the at least the last 19 years. Perhaps in the takeover of Australian there were some without it and some F/Es who became pilots I think had to do equivalence courses but not sure how that fits in with your comments as to more recent applicants.

However, all this comparison of penis size really is missing the point. After Qantas is done with mainline pilots the Jetstar pilots are going to be in the gun- particularly if the LCC is unable to sustain itself in the medium term. At the best many Jetstar crew may be looking at 20 plus years in the RHS if there is little expansion. Heaven help them if there is contraction. J* crew may well be begging for a MOU type deal then if mainline is starting to expand again.