PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 05:14
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was apparently booked via "an agent".
Departure date was late Aug or September I think.
I thought at first they had been booked direct on the London flights without ref to Manchester but a bit of quizzing suggested that they had indeed been offered Manchester but it was a £600 saving for 2 if they flew from London.
I should add it was actually first class as was part of a wedding holiday package with an onward connection to Bali.

Even so, we have the airport, we have the flight but still lose out due excess capacity and a degree of fare dumping due supply and demand.

Whatever the circumstances and im sure some on here will justify it, it is a completely barmy scenario !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M.E.N.

"Massive council windfall"

“The announcement of the first direct link between Manchester and China was significant and we have continued to perform well adding long-haul routes such as Charlotte, Jeddah, and Toronto at Manchester for this Summer.

Where would we be without the brazen soundbites offered and then so deliciously gobbled up by the M E N

Indeed all damn jolly stuff and a good excuse to crack open the Champagne or as some Southerners might suggest, twang your braces and have a
Brown Ale !

But wait, maybe that spokesperson should have placed emphasis on the longevity of "sun routes" stretching into late October with less focus on those long haul routes ?

Charlotte is summer only, a short season, AND some suggest it "may" have a shelf life which is completely out of the airports control !

I would add as an aside that it always intrigues me that some of these "business routes" are cut in winter as indeed this will be, does the UK and USA only actually do business May to September ?

Toronto must be the shortest schedule in the history of a long haul service anywhere ! My goodness it only started two weeks ago and will almost be gone before the next bank holiday !

Jeddah, hardly a roaring success, if rumours are to be believed capacity is slashed from August after just 4 months and this at the very start of the Hajj , pilgrimage season when both flights should be absolutely bouncing given the massive opportunities in our catchment area.

ten out of ten for generating oodles of cash

four out of ten for focusing on wrong criteria........ especially if they are all gone by this time next year, unlikely BUT nonetheless possible !

PS ....my "one-man and his dog" haranguing of marketing appears to have embarrassed them into action , in recent weeks their twitter feed (110K followers) has at last started mentioning airlines, services, and frequency to other destinations rather than just our much vaunted Hong Kong route , rejoice !

Last edited by Bagso; 16th Jul 2014 at 06:11.