PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Erebus crash 28 November 1979 - 34 years later.
Old 14th Jul 2014, 09:09
prospector

unless you're saying ALPA runs the airline and CAD.
One could say with some justification that there is a grain of truth in that statement.
I will quote from Bob Thomson "History of New Zealand Antarctic Research Programme 1965-88.

"Air New Zealand and NZALPA went to some lengths to ensure that their senior pilots and members were seen as professionals who knew it all and did not therefore need to seek advice from elsewhere, such as the RNZAF,USAF, USN or the Division.

Nor did Air New Zealand take advantage of the experience gained by members of their aircrews who flew on earlier flights. Apparently the NZALPA saw the Antarctic flights as a "special perk" for their members and had an agreement with Air New Zealand that flight crews should be spread widely amongst its members."
As I can see no other reason for the Company to change the crews for every flight, more expense for training etc, than this agreement with NZALPA then it is more than likely that this was why so many different crews were used on these flights.

Whilst Bob Thomson was not a qualified pilot, he had made75 trips to the ice, 50 being on the flight deck of aircraft approaching from the North. He was in fact scheduled to fly as the commentator on Flt 901. When asked if he ever felt uneasy that but for a twist of fate he may have died that day?
his reply was
"Not at all. I always insisted on a complete circuit of Ross Island before letting down below 17,000ft. That way I could get an idea of the complete situation and what the weather was like, where any clouds were."