PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headley Court to close and move to Leicestershire
Old 11th Jul 2014, 11:37
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh deary deary me,

I was only joking when I was bantering Melchy in this thread a few months ago about the hypothetical closure of Headley Court after the closure of Peterborough.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...rate-spin.html

Another piece of salami slicing? Part of a Grand Strategic plan for a medical 'super base'? Another way for the MoD to help the NHS out (or vice versa)?

Irrespective this really does suggest to the layman a complete incompetence in any planning. If this was always the intent then why were we as the bucket rattlers, charity walkers, riders and swimmers and the donating public not made aware that the H4H (plus other mil charities) projects at Headley Court would be closed within a few years of being put to good use?

I trust that there will be an independent audit called by the Trustees to establish exactly how much charity money will have been wasted in not having a robust plan post Afghan.

To us Serving Personnel I personally believe that this is just another example of exactly what the current HMG intend to do with the 'peace dividends' from an Afghan withdrawl. Standby for more snippets here and there of cut backs to the military being 'leaked' into the media.

Only when one stands back and views the sum of capabilities either lost or watered down will the true impact be recognised.

Now, sadly it really wouldn't surprise me to see RCDM at QE Birmingham also close, after the painful and very public transition from Selly Oak that played on the minds of many Service Personnel on Ops knowing that the media were reporting a dysfunctional casualty/medical evacuation system for injured personnel.

Just as we get our casualty system right at QE Birmingham I sense they will close it, for us to re-learn all those horrid lessons from Iraq and the early Afghan years again.

Certainly made me think about where my money goes with Military Charities!