PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF CAS says 'Politicians make it up as they go.'
Old 10th Jul 2014, 22:30
bridgets boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are all from different generations (cue Python misquote: "I'm not!...") and we sometimes don't get the Zeit Geist, such as the furore surrounding the self appointed partial experts who didn't watch the whole of Blackadder Goes Forth, so missed the point of the final scene, which actually made a valid connection that many of the 1980s generation could make with their forebears, ie real people larking around but eventually having to face up to their duty. Lost on the attention seeking politicians (card-carrying or otherwise) and Daily Mail readers.
Normal people (and I have met some) LOVE the RAF, the uniform, even the forage caps (though not the berets, natch). They WANT us to be like the 1940s pilots, and forgive us the lack of brevets and medals. It has to do with civility, and everything that made us chose the mob instead of other fighting arms, industry, the airlines, or perish the thought, The City. Armstrong and Miller have got it right - they do not paint the whole picture, but any tech-savvy youth will be able to work that out in a few key presses on his I-phone.
Those of us that care should make sure the right kids make the key presses necessary to apply online to join up, so they can use their skills (and by god the have some - frighteningly capable youngsters, in every way better than my generation coming through when I left 4 years ago) to continue our evolving Premier Fighting Arm.