PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe airline to maintain UK's A400M army plane-sources
Old 10th Jul 2014, 08:32
Sandy Parts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ShotOne(andMissed) - "Chance for ex herc techies to top up their pensions..." Except they're retired so probably don't want to. And they have no experience/qualification on A400. Apart from that, great idea

I work alongside 3 ex-RAF who have 'retired' once already (including techies) although in IT not aircraft engineering admittedly. I also know many others in my locale who are well into their 'second careers'.
Re the quals for A400M - er, who has them at the moment? (isn't it a new aircraft.....?)
Re the experience - I know who'd I'd like organising/managing my team of new aircraft engineers....and it isn't a greenhorn graduate or apprentice. I'd take the person with shopfloor (even only on C130) experience over shiny degrees any day.
Interesting to see the (reasonable) argument re the experienced ex-RAF guys being used for a pittance and then not being replaced due to a lack of replacements coming from the RAF. I've seen that being said for the last 20 years (Finningley Dominie maintenance?) but it doesn't seem to have stopped it so far. Hence adverts in my local press for experienced ex-SeaKing guys just last month to join the SK team at Lossie.