PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Coast aircraft down 6/7/14
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2014, 22:39
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 posts and counting.

From which the following data has emerged:-

Reports of a light aircraft crashing into the ocean 1km off the headland at Tomkin, near Batemans Bay.
Mr White and his passenger, both in their 60s, had set out at 11.50am on an ultralight plane from Moruya airport to conduct a biannual flying assessment of one of the men’s skills
It was a Morgan Sierra if the news reports are correct.
Daily telegraph reporting possible bird strike as the cause.
I guess the "something fell off the plane" comments from the public could indeed be a bird of the result there-of.
So far as I can tell, we have two competent airmen doing a bi-annual review in a Morgan Sierra. Sometime during the flight 'something' has occurred resulting in one dead, one missing.

Speculation, bird strike, or structural, or engine.

Birds – Pelican – weighs in at 4.5 – 7.7 Kg; (F=MA). Was there Pelican activity that day, do they 'hold' in the area; a dozen Seagulls same thing. Have we any idea of how high the aircraft was at the 'crucial' moment. Bird strike = No data.

Structural, this argument could carry some weight; if we could reasonably assume the aircraft was in a position to make a forced landing (experienced, competent instructor). This nullifies the engine out argument somewhat; as a forced landing, even on the water has a 'survival' rating. Structural= No data. EINOP = No data...

There were two pilots on board, so the chances of dual, simultaneous heart attack can be ruled out.

So here we sit, two good men short, two grieving families to consider and no sensible answer to offer as to why this tragic event happened. However, if there is even a remote chance of this accident reoccurring, for whatever reason and other families are to be spared the grief, then respectful but diligent investigation is not only required, but essential.

Just my two bob's worth....