PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus out of OneWorld...?????
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2003, 07:30
Bluehair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting since I've been hearing rumours about this from inside EI but more along the lines that they *want* out since they aren't getting the benefits from Oneworld they feel they should.

Kind of a little player in a big boys alliance feeling with little weight given to the direction EI now sees itself going (ie increased expansion on more european routes with less and less emphasis on interlining through LHR).

The suggestion was put that Star may in fact be a much better fit for EI in the future. The could dominate the lucrative DUB-LHR route with BMI and (esp once the stopover goes) work very well with US and AC on the T/A routes.

Makes a lot of sense to me on a lot of levels. EI and BMI together could do a lot of damage to BA for UK/Ireland-US traffic once proper bi-laterals were sorted.

Interline east could work very well with SAS and LH through CPH and FRA and EI would be free to expand the 'sun' routes to the med without stepping on anyone's toes.

Tough shift to make but while EI's size means switching alliances wouldn't make much impact to Oneworlds bottom line the PR would be negative.

Mind you can't see it happening very soon as the big issues at the moment are future route expansion (stopover? BKK/DXB?)
fleet renewal (737-800 anyone?) and privitisation.

Once the latter happens in particular I would put money on it happening very fast though.

Interested to hear others opinions!