PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2014, 09:59
BasilBush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a bit harsh ManchesterKurt. I am supportive of new investment, including capacity enhancement on the WCML. I'm just not (yet) convinced that £50bn is the best value for money. I'm not alone in this - the YouGov survey suggests opponents are in the majority. Curiously, opposition is stronger in the North region than in London. So it can't easily be characterised as a North v South spat. Similar pattern when people are asked whether HS2 will benefit the North - people in London are more likely to believe that it will, as compared with those in the North.

Survey results at http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload...140430-HS2.pdf

I don't know who paid for the survey so (like you) I would be slightly wary of reading too much into it. And you can argue that respondents are ignorant of the facts so we should not treat it too seriously. But that's always the problem in a democracy I suppose!

For the record, although you characterise me as a "Southern commentator" I do in fact live 10 mins from the airport. And I was born and brought up here. My location is only shown as London as I haven't worked out how to change it!

Anyway, I do welcome all of this passionate debate. Pity the passion doesn't always seem to be shared by those in a position to do something about it, such as those at MAG.