PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 16:06
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take your point MANFOD was just underwhelmed by the phraseology in the PR statement !

There may well be faults but was there really any need to issue such a bland statement.

"Yes it's our fault" and sorry "it's summer that's how things are up here".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make no apologies for lifting this from the DUB thread re Ethiopian.

The DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) has gone out to several airlines and ET is not the only one to have been approached, just the first one that seems to have bitten.

The DAA would not have made these approaches if the govt were going to obstruct it - and the govt's policy is to encourage fifth freedom rights; the new aviation policy will enshrine this as policy - and a good thing too. If EI doesn't fly the route, it can't act as "dog in the manger". I can't see US carriers being too pushed, as no US carriers has sought to fly LAX-DUB.

There are still quite a few cities to which we don't yet have a link and I'm sure the govt would encourage the DAA to tout for routes and if fifth freedom rights work as the bait to reel them in, then let them do it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, yes, yes, I know they have pre clearance

....AND doubtless there will be objections from other airlines.

BUT look at the creativity of thinking, the gist of this is "we don' t have a service so we are going to look at options and hunt down the traffic".

They are seemingly looking at their location and airlines that are routing over the top from A To B.

In addition they do not seem too bothered about tip toeing around their current customers !

....NOT only that the Government changed aviation policy to promote growth at Dublin recognizing it as a major player !

We are getting lots of weasel words from our political parties about "rebalancing The North" but little action, Manchester is staring them in the face, but both Tory and Labour seem oblivious , would it not be be refreshing if we had same creativity of thinking on airport policy?

In the meantime lets hope MAG are ALSO hunting down such opportunities !

Lets also hope our Government are also helping them, despite "appearing" somewhat mute on aviation policy other than increasing taxes OR runways !

Last edited by Bagso; 4th Jul 2014 at 16:27.