PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joint CRM
Thread: Joint CRM
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 15:31
Anthony Carn

........I cannot remember not being met by an engineer on arrival.
I can ! Like no engineer for ever single sector of every working day for weeks ! Must be nice to work for a "frills" airline.

Most engineers are great to get on with. Never had any problems with any of them. Never done any CRM with any engineers.

I've learnt over time that verbal discussions are frequently lost to oblivion at their next shift change. Detailed entries in the Tech Log absolutely essential, otherwise you'll see "Tested satis - no fault found" as an understandable response. Can it be any more simple ?

As for Cabin Crew CRM, if they took the trouble to recruit a higher proportion of people with brains and basic interpersonal skills, then there would be less requirement for "Working together from a script".

Examples (only a very small sample)

Immediately upon report ----

Me - "Hi, I'm Tony"
Cabin crew - no response.
I went round each crew member in turn politely establishing their names.
Me - "Thanks, I'll try to remember all those."
Senior CC - "Liar".

Never met any of these CC before, in my life ! So much for CRM.

Me to Senior CC, before flight - "The APU won't be working today."
Senior CC - "Nothing to do with me"
Few minutes later - Senior CC - "We're out of water"
Me - "I'll check, but it may be because the APU is'nt supplying feed pressure"
Senior CC - *Big sigh* *Lots of face pulling* *In a huff* No drinks offered before or during that sector, or on the subsequent turnaround. Terse messages on intercom. Big sulk, basically, until I had a calming word (when I had time).

Only two examples. Is'nt CRM great ! Good thing that the "no-frills" operation requires minimal contact with passengers.

Nope ! It's down to decent selection of crew members in the first place. You can't train people to behave like decent human beings -either they are, or they are'nt.

I hasten to add that the above element is a minority, but my point is that CRM training will just breeze over the heads of such people.

As for the "trick cyclist" comedians they're employing to run CRM courses these days - jeez ! I'd better not go there ! I've rambled on enough.