PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash in the Barossa Valley S.A.
Old 29th Jun 2014, 04:46
spinex

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you may have a point about the relative crashability of the C150 vs a typical LSA, WMk11, although it is a matter of degree only, the average sub compact car makes all light aircraft look like dinosaurs in that regard.

As far as a flying machine goes, there is little comparison, I converted onto a Tecnam Golf from a GA background (PA-28 to C208) and it feels like a sports car compared even to the smallest GA trainer, a thoroughly nice little fun flyer with well harmonised controls. As pointed out above, there are a few traps for the ham fisted, the nose gear is more fragile than you may be used to and pax plus fuel make up a significant proportion of the all up weight with a consequent impact on performance, but a good 'un for all that.

Whilst I agree that the RA Aus accident reporting leaves a lot to be desired, there are some serious rose tinted glasses in use if you think GA is much better. Go have a look at the VH-JGR report (C-172 near Beaudesert about 2 yrs ago) and see whether our esteemed ATSB add any value, when they even bother to investigate GA accidents.