PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash in the Barossa Valley S.A.
Old 29th Jun 2014, 03:05
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal, on the performance question, many of these aircraft are noticeably more sprightly than a C150, for example. There's no magic - it's largely just down to being 2/3 the weight with the same power as the 150, although some of the better makers invoke a few worthwhile tricks. Generally it's all a pleasant surprise, although depending on whether you've grown up in the GA world or the RA world, slightly different cautions apply. For example, as a long-time GA person, I still remind myself about how much the performance of my VLA varies with what look like relatively simple load variations. There's nothing new of course, just something to be aware of.

Onetrack, while I think you're being hard on your assessment of the LSA class since a number of the better products extend into certified aircraft territory, I agree entirely with your assessment of the RA training and accident reporting situation. There have been many requests for the reports and statistics to be available publicly but they have foundered, I understand, on the obstacle of RA Aus and individual liability. This may be valid legally but the reality is that the present system is simply indefensible from the safety viewpoint and, maybe as part of the current shake-up between RA Aus and CASA on a number of fronts, an open reporting system and database could be implemented - by CASA, if necessary. We simply can't go on with a situation in which individuals are unable to inspect freely the RA incident reports and statistics.

The point about lazy journalists and sensationalism of course brings to mind the old story generator:

The Lazy Journalists Plane Story Generator

Last edited by tecman; 29th Jun 2014 at 03:53. Reason: typo