PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Pilots (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 01:18
gohogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I support the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program. A armed pilot is the last line of defense in the event the cockpit door is breached. The new and improved cockpit door does not give me a warm fuzzy and TSA is no better now than before 9/11.

The cockpit door is more fortified but, will only slow a determined terrorist down. The added time afforded by the fortified door will allow armed pilots to draw the pistol and kill the terrorist when they attempt cockpit entry.

Many people argue that pilots should only fly the jet and not be expected to defend the cockpit, get real. If a terrorist enters the cockpit the last thing I will be is a "sitting" duck. I shall be out of my seat defending myself. My current weapon is the crash ax but, not for long. Soon I'll be able to place a few rounds into my attacker...done deal.

I know, what if I miss and shot a passenger or put a hole in the jet. If I miss and the cockpit is taken over my F-15 back up will finish the job. Result, all dead and more than just a little pressure squeal.

On the other hand if I kill the terrorist, with my pistol, the F-15 back up will not have to take action and we all live "happily ever after".