PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 injured due turbulence
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2014, 08:26
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExXB - While I accept what you say about the kits being on the MEL, I don't accept your reasoning behind it. If there is something in the aircraft which can help an injured passenger, it should and must be used. After all, the cabin crew are NOT medically qualified, so it's not up to them to judge. If opening the kits grounds the aircraft, then so be it. That is the price for going with the absolute minimum equipment and/or failing to have the option to release down to the MMEL or a "one-off" release. It's a risk the airline took and now they get their return. I also find it difficult to accept the "on-ground pilferage" or the expiry date comments as reasons for not using the kits. Presumably, the kit are stowed away and closed and if a something is in date, it can be used.

And while we are here, if the cabin crew won't open the kits, why bother even having the kits at all? I also wonder if the carrier charged for the mess the bleeding passengers made on the straw on the floor or the benches.

To passengers reading this thread may I suggest that this is another good reason as to why you should take care in choosing who you fly with. A company who cares about their passengers would have opened the kits, used the contents and sorted out the mess on arrival. Remember, when some LoCo chief executives fly for pleasure, they fly BA First Class!