PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly Bpl - Is It The Beginning Of The End???
Old 25th Jun 2014, 16:54
Bluebear1872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read the report, it's a blatant disregard of the regulations, and an unsatisfactory way of performing maintenance on aircraft by the owner/operator! If the fine as someone stated is £645 then the CAA are a complete joke!
However, the real cause of the accident was the carb icing, something that all who read the report I hope will take note off, and will read CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 14 - I know I have. Safety Sense Leaflet 14: Piston Engine Icing | Publications | About the CAA
Also in the AAIB report it states 'There was evidence to suggest that the passenger had not been restrained by either a lap or shoulder harness at the time of the accident'. Aren't 'Hatches & harnesses' part of the downwind landing checks? Would the passenger have survived if he had been wearing his harness? Obviously the commander of the aircraft will have to live with his decisions and actions on the day of the flight for the rest of his life.
As for the owner/operator, I hope the CAA monitor his activities a lot closer to keep the rest of us safe from any further/future mal practice's.
For those that read this including the AAIB report, I hope we all take heed of the lessons learned before we next venture up in to the sky.