PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 08:04
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The similarity between yesterday's comments and the Evan Davies documentary "Mind the Gap" is indeed quite uncanny. I just wonder though whether the idea for the program came about because it was thought the government was privately already considering the concept of a Northern powerhouse.

Nevertheless, irrespective of how much political motivation was behind the move, having been put on the table as it were, it's important that business organisations including MAN, MPs etc. don't let the matter quietly subside because it's years in the future.

Today's M.E.N includes reactions from "experts" on infrastructure which are very positive, (the CBI was slightly more cautious) and there are some outspoken remarks about the infrastructure spend in London compared to Manchester. I know some will argue that London is a global city, free market forces prevail etc. but the relative spend is so outrageous that it's almost obscene. If Crossrail 2 were ever given the go ahead before vital projects elsewhere in the country, it could prove politically disastrous.

As far as implications for air travel are concerned, if the line of cities is felt to be from Liverpool to Hull, then Leeds could argue that it is just as much central as Manchester. I do hope that before too long Manchester Airport with over 21 million passengers and a (currently) growing list of long haul destinations will make its voice heard and respond to the ideas put forward yesterday along with the Davies commission. This is surely something where MAN has a vital role to play, but may need to win the support and cooperation of some of those other northern cities to press its case for continued expansion, particularly for long haul routes, as well of course as persuading airlines that demand exists.

Last edited by MANFOD; 24th Jun 2014 at 09:14.