PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gear Up Landings
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 00:55
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
It's not about the gear. It's about seasoned veterans posting questionable advice that could negatively affect the lives of impressionable up and comers who come to forums like this one to learn more about the business.
The impressionable up and comers will do well to read these forums to be reminded that their success in aviation will depend upon forming positive relationships with seasoned veterans. Some of those veterans will expect strict adherence to checklist and SOP's. Other veterans will more look for the instinctive, natural rhythm of cockpit actions that indicate that the pilot is ahead of the aircraft and the flight, rather than depending upon checklists. That rhythm should include reference to a checklist as appropriate, but not blind dependance. It's not the use of the checklist I challenge, but rather the possible dependance upon it, to the exclusion of using basic skills and airmanship.

"I landed with the wheels up because I dropped the checklist between the sets, so I could not finish reading it".

For a pilot with whom I fly to use a checklist is fine (as long as doing so does not detract from their other duties at that time), but I am very pleased to see a final independent check for configuration assurance.

A quick recheck short final: Gear as required - and position spoken out loud, even just to one's self, Prop(s) fine, flaps as required, landing clearance - water rudders up? It's doing more than the minimum, because a job worth doing is worth doing well.

The up and comer who uses the checklist well might get the piloting job. The up and comer who is ahead of the aircraft, and refers to the checklist might get the piloting job first.