PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are you going to wait, wait and wait?
Old 21st Jun 2014, 23:43
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Apache.
I will pay special attention to your post.

First let me correct you on a few points.

A company is not expected to hire you. They are a business. They are there to make money. They are not there to provide an employment service and they do not HAVE to hire you. No matter if you are a national or not.
In my time in Africa, I met a lot of local pilots.
They seemed to be of the impression that because they have a licence, they should be hired.
One man in particular sticks in my mind.
He was sitting in our crew room while waiting for the chief pilot and ops manager. He sat down on the couch, spread himself out so no one else could sit there, changed the channel that was on the TV (that other pilots were watching) and then turned it up quite loud.
The people interviewing him turned up and he stopped them midway through and said "oh you can hire me, but only for the caravan, I will not fly the pistons"

First of all he didn't meet the insurance minimums for the aircraft, nor the seniority aspect.
Secondly, when does a new hire dictate where he goes in the company fleet?
Thirdly, he couldn't even explain how a turbine works!

My next question is a serious one. If you walked up to a person of Indian descent, and told him he was Asian, would he correct you and say he's Indian? I think he would.
I'm well aware of where the country is located geographically.

And to the waking up and doing a u-turn. When you choose to take my words out of context then yes they will have a different meaning.

One other factor I forgot to point out in most of Southern Africa, is the difficulty of the issue of work permits for Indian pilots.
This is at a governmental level and has nothing to do with the aviation companies.
Most companies can't be bothered going through the lengthy process that is involved in getting the work permit issued, when they can hire someone else with certainty of getting the permit, and in half the time.

In regards to paying to fly. I wasn't referring to those program's. I was referring to people offering to work for free flying C206s and other similar aircraft.
I will admit that I did see some of this in my time in Canada from Canadian citizens, but I did also see Indian citizens doing this.
This is the third continent that I have seen it happen on.