PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream IV in Bedford MA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 18:52
jdkirkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineered Material Arresting System (EMAS)

Here is something we can all do, or try to do.
I live in Goleta, CA, and my family uses the Santa Barbara Airport (SBA).
(Actually, I’m an 80 year old fat guy with Parkinson’s and flying on anything is not something I consider pleasant anymore.)
They are going to have a Master Plan Public Meeting at the SBA airport on June 26. This will be at 6:00 – 7:30 PM when I like to be comfortable in front of the TV.
There are several major airlines and many business and private aircraft that use this airport.
It has two runways, only one of which 7/25, is suitable for airline traffic and it has deep ditches at both ends.
The airport was built during WW2 in a swampy area W of the city.
Look up SBA Rwy 7/25 on Google Earth and you will see the situation.
Actually, the short runway also has a ditch at one end . . .
In reading the comments on this accident one person mentioned better, safer, use of the overrun.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...m?newsId=13754
The ditch at Hanscom that killed some good people and destroyed a good airplane could have been fixed real easy and this accident would be an incident being discussed over a beer by those involved.
A length of concrete pipe in the ditch to let the water find a way downstream and dirt on top of the pipe planted in greenery would do the job.
It would be much less expensive than flying a load of Marines in a B747 to Iraq, for instance.
Take some of the photos of this accident with you and point out that it could easily happen right here in River City, maybe with them on board.
Talking to a Board of this type is sometimes not particularly pleasant so, if necessary, take someone with you that understands the bureaucratic language. Pay a visit to the local newspaper, brief them on the situation, and they might be interested enough to cover the meeting.