PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 10:54
INeedTheFull90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onyxcrowle

A rather fanciful range of suggestions but let's gets back to reality. It's a very small start and it is important nobody gets carried away.

There's no way eJ will detract from their NCL base where people are already travelling from Teesside area. Opening a base, or operating W patterns will not stimulate new passengers. It will pick up the same passengers with a vastly increased cost base due to a new base or operating W patterns. Plus the NCL base isn't the strongest and I should imagine they need to protect that. I very much doubt people in Teesside simply avoid going on holiday as there is no flight from their local airport and most would travel to NCL or LBA. Those who would rather not travel will be a tiny minority. LCCs do not have a great track record at MME and that was before management told 737/A32S operators where to go.

Southampton did not work on a 29 seater. That says all you need to know.

Again this London link keeps popping up - it cannot compete with very frequent trains. Yes some will want to work around STN, LTN or SEN but a majority are going to the city centre. If people are connecting to another flight then this is covered by AMS and there is no need for a London hub.

FlyBE don't have a CDG base so if they were to operate flights to MME would involve operating W patterns through CDG from another base which results in increased costs or they will need to open up a base. Given that they just shut NCL a few months back I very much doubt this would happen.

Eastern Europe routes are pretty low yielding. If FR were to operate an MME route it would be a non based aircraft and as soon as the new route subsidy finished FR would pull out and MME would make even bigger losses as they've paid to support the route for some time with no income. I'm not stereotyping but speaking for experience and Eastern Europe destined pax do no spend in the terminal and they do not spend onboard.

I don't think anybody is being rude or shooting you down but your suggestions do make you out to be someone with very little understanding of the business.