PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CityFlyer MPL FTE Jerez
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 04:49
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If you don't want to, or can't, that is fine.........next!"
Beazlebub that pretty much sums up the problem, no meritocracy whatsoever in this industry, probably not a healthy thing to have in any walk of life I guess. We do want it, thought about it, dreamt about it, read up on it, discussed it on forums, visiting an airport just for the hell of it on a weekend....but alas not priviliged enough...I guess next!!
Yes, I am afraid that is pretty much the industry wide reality these days for all the reasons I gave in the previous reply.
it sickens me that he comes on here with that cavalier attitude towards peoples livelihoods. He probably has the same arrogant attitude to his new FO's like that miserable, crusty old git of a captain in the elevator at T5 in this evenings episode of A very British Airline. You know? The one that refused to greet the new cadet.
I am not sure who you think did that? The reply encapsulated an industry wide reality to a specific point that was raised. As regards the documentary clip, did your narrow focus allow you to see it from the "crusty old git of a captains" perspective? That would be the one where you dash for an elevator only to find yourself confronted by a cameraman, a sound recorder, a lighting person and a director. Perhaps he was a little surprised and didn't immediately notice the F/O in the corner. Perhaps once the little red light went off, he greeted the F/O and expressed surprise at finding himself the subject of a TV programme. Who knows? In any event I doubt he would want to present himself as appearing rude. Sometimes it is helpful to look at the wider picture unless that doesn't suit your rush to judgement!

I don't think I have ever been "arrogant" to new First Officers, and the comment I have supplied on these forums has always been qualified and factual. The positive support for new F/O and cadet programmes has even erroneously attracted comments of vested interests and drawing benefit from specific FTO's. Indeed such comment (albeit your opinion of course) popularly emanates from a contributor to this thread. I am simply providing a very real and a very valid perspective from a significant vantage and experience base. If you consider that arrogant, so be it. If you don't like what I say, then ignore it. If you think it is wrong then disagree with it. However the reality cheque (and that isn't a typo,) is that this is a difficult and expensive profession to enter. I stand by everything I have ever written on these forums. I consider every contribution as honest and valid. The purpose of providing information or comment isn't to share dreams or massage fragile egos or blow fragrant smoke up anybody's proverbial. It is simply to provide what is intended to be a helpful and qualified perspective, for people to use or discard entirely as they see fit.

Steering this thread back on track... The suggestion that this programme is likely to be paid for by the customer airline is wishful thinking. Those days have almost completely evaporated. It is what it is.. You pay your money and take your choice.