PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 08:00
OneDotLow

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Flyboat,

I won't touch on the cadet issue too much, but having been involved in recruitment in the past I would say that you are right in the sense that the minimum qualifications to get on the course are yr 12 graduation, but let's say that you and 1,000 other people have that. How would you stand out from the crowd of other people trying to get the position? You need something more than that. And yes these course applications (when previously open) were massively oversubscribed every time. It takes a lot more than just year 12 graduation. The same is also true for direct entry positions.

As for salaries, in the current environment there is no doubt that the A380 QF LH pay sits high on the list no matter with which metric you choose to measure it. However, this was negotiated at a time when QF had posted a $1B profit and all fleets (with the exception of the A330 for reasons previously touched on numerous times here) were working max hours. This was an agreement between QF and AIPA. Not QF, AIPA and Flyboats North. Why does it offend you so much when you didn't, haven't and never will have skin in the game?

Most pilots received the standard 3% pay increases (after offsets were given) at the time. The majority of QF pilots are not on anything like the sort of money you quote here, so you can surely understand why people are not overly friendly to you here when you 'storm into town' and criticise with a wide tar brush.

Finally, I don't know what drives you to deliberately strike a nerve and criticise those whom you have never met, but maybe it is time to get a little perspective and pull your head in.