PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2014, 12:44
Captain Gidday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the dudes.

Boeingdream:
My main problem with you and others [now ignored] who come onto this Professional Pilots forum giving us the benefit of your odd opinions is not your spelling. It's your ignorance of what actually goes on in aviation and particularly within Qantas. Essentially, you are dudes, in the pre 1950s American sense of the word. Look it up.
Some of you must live in a parallel universe, not even close to 'real world' airline politics.

Mate, I've been flying for more than 40 years. Sixteen graduated from my pilot's course. Some had tertiary degrees before we began. Some went to Uni to gain degrees along the way. [I did this. Twice. I don't think it made me a better pilot]. Some still don't have degrees but we had all matriculated before we began.

I reckon collectively the 16 of us have flown over 350,000 hours now. At various times three of the sixteen have been Chief Pilots of major airlines. Only one of these airlines is part of the Qantas Group.

I don't wear a blue collar at work, but I respect those who might, especially LAMEs. I'll be leaving the industry very soon with VR. A long time ago, at the start of our careers, over 100 of us were given Compulsory Redundancy from Qantas. So there's a certain symmetry there. I'm not sad about the VR, even though it shouldn't be necessary. I am deeply saddened that the airline I've spent my life working for is travelling so badly lately. Others can determine why.

But enough of the ignorance. Isn't there a Smart Business Forum you could play on? Discuss Enron, perhaps?

Last edited by Captain Gidday; 14th Jun 2014 at 23:06.