PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream IV in Bedford MA
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2014, 18:00
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FDR data revealed the elevator control surface position during the taxi and takeoff was consistent with its position if the gust lock was engaged. The gust lock handle, located on the right side of the control pedestal, was found in the forward (OFF) position, and the elevator gust lock latch was found not engaged.
Now that is a head scratcher. The gust lock was off, the gust lock latch was not in the locked position, yet the elevator remained in the down locked position.

I had a non-rotation event happen to me once at V-R. Let me tell you, it takes a few seconds to comprehend that the aircraft did not rotate. I did manage to get the aircraft in the air right at the end of the runway by using full aft yoke and applying up trim at the same time.

If I had not been able to get airborne, we'd gone into a river at a very high rate of speed. Stopping on the remaining runway was out of question at V-R, there was not enough runway left to get the aircraft stopped on.

This was in a Westwind II and it was a forward CG issue that I was unaware of. Still would have been my fault if we had crashed.