PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2014, 17:39
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cattivo

As a SHW myself I had a very pessimistic view of when I'd get the opportunity to move but an email from our P&P guys left me way more optimistic
Your post echos my point, and the caution needed by new joiners. When we launch a DEP recruitment campaign (as we seem about to do - the current one is not a campaign but crisis (mis)management), it indicates movement for everybody. Hence why you simultaneously see things looking up for the SH escape rope

The point the applicants need to judge however is "what" the situation will be like in min 5 years time, yet gamble on the decision today. If the SH review / round 2 of bmi / WC talks don't solve the "SH is unprofitable" mantra of BA/IAG, and we see Vueling coming in to LHR, then the new entrants will be bottom of the BA list forever. Much as IB pilots were for some time, with zero prospects IIRC? (albeit I believe things are changed there now...)

Summary: Using todays "time to command" "time to LH" is a poor basis for serious career decisions. When I joined BA (1996), time to SH Command was 21yrs. But access to seniority lists etc. meant for those joining then, I calculated likely 7-8yrs, and in fact became nearer 5 for some. All I can urge prospective joiners is to really research the issue... and a pPrune thread is not going to get you that info