PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2014, 04:16
Captain Gidday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
the way these morons operate, every QF, jq, QLink, network and cobham pilot is starring down the barrel of redundancy. don't for one second think that if mainline goes, the rest will survive.

Captahab says
Nonsense
Captahab, you know diddlysquat.
[That said, you still know more than Flyboat North and Ballsdeep combined].

Example A:
Cobham have a very clever strategy, worldwide. They always operate on contracts that provide for their operating costs, plus a profit margin. So, they don't give a damn about load factors, or lack thereof. It is up to the Smartest Guys In The Room at the Mothership to make a profit. If they sell enough seats, say, on Sydney-Hobart or Canberra-Brisbane, well OK, they get to keep the change. If not, do you think Cobham makes a loss? Nope, it's carried by the Mothership.

So, if/when the Mothership goes down [increasingly likely due to the incompetence of Captain Kirk, Spock and the others] do you think Cobham will continue operating to Hobart or Canberra. Not pygmalion likely. No contract. They just fold up their tents and p!ss off to greener pastures. Cobham pilots are goners.

Speaking of the 717, can anyone quote an example of a 717 still in revenue service, say, in the USA? I fly to/through the USA a lot and I don't ever, [repeat] EVER, recall seeing a 717 operating in US airspace since the GFC. Where do you see them? Mojave in storage is the only place I've ever seen them, since 2008. Why? Because, compared to a 737-800 they have dog economics. Let's shout it out! A Cobham 717 Captain based in Canberra makes about $165K, almost as much as a 737 Captain flying ahout 50% more passengers for QF Domestic. Do Cobham care? See above.

Example B : Could all the various entities making up Link survive the crash of the Mothership? Sadly, the answer is also NO. Instantly, all the feeders would lose their on-carriage traffic from the Mothership. You know, there are people travelling from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Wagga Wagga or from Perth to Rocky. Without the Mothership's expensive booking engines, terminal contracts, fuel contracts, contracts with aircraft manufacturers at favourable rates, and all the other infrastructure there is no way that any Dash 8 with a tiny kangaroo on the tail, operated by Sunstate, for example, is going to be a viable operation. They are all just shot ducks without the Mothership.
Link pilots are goners.

Example C:
Can Jetstar, in all it's guises survive without the Mothership? I think not also. Similar story.
Jetstar pilots are goners.

Are pilots for all the "Entities", including QF Mainline, going to survive the crash, if/when it happens? Well, yes, actually. Australia for the forseeable future has a need to move people around by air. It takes too long to drive and the railways are ****e. So yes, move on, regroup. Another airline will arise to continue the duopoly. Some pilots will benefit, some will not get a favourable roll of the dice. But most will come through the turbulence with but a few scars.

Will Kirk and Spock and the others survive a fiery crash? One sincerely hopes not. Surely the talent pool is big enough that the 'misfits' from a previous crash [Ken Cowley's words recently in the Fin Review, not mine] will have their resumes stamped "NEVER, EVER EMPLOY AGAIN IN AVIATION MANAGEMENT, GO AND WORK IN A BAUXITE MINE. SHARE PURCHASE AND KPI BONUS PLAN CANCELLED" and we can all move on into a brighter future.

Last edited by Captain Gidday; 9th Jun 2014 at 05:46.