PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most farcical lesson yet
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2003, 03:52
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KCDW - funny, was just thinking of commenting on the conditions.

Well to stir the pot, my first inclination was just as yours - we just do not have sufficient information to make an informed comment.

Gertrude said something like the wind was all over the place. With respect to Gertrude, this was unlikely to literally be the case - he may have been using poetic license to get the debate going.

Hopefully we can assume the instructor would not have landed if the wind was way outside the cross wind limits of the aircraft, particularly given it would seem he could have held off and waited for it too abate.

We can assume there was some sheer on the approach, and this would be expected given the conditions and the description. While sheer is not predictable by any means, presumably the instructor is likely to be very familiar with the approach and would have a good idea in those conditions when and where sheer might be experienced at that airport.

We are therefore left with the instructor flying an approach where the wind was within crosswind limits, and possibly with a small or no cross wind component, a lengthy runway (after all an airliner had just departed), and probably some sheer on the approach that he expected.

If all of that is true, it seems to me for an experienced pilot the pilot was well within limits. Moreover, if the wind was straight down the runway it maybe, subject to the extent of the sheer, the approach was unexceptional.

Of course, as with everything it is relative. I recollect a recent approach in similar conditions. I know as a new PPL I would have been sweating more than a bit and thinking what the hell had I done. A lot of other pilots clearly felt the same - the airport was unusually quiet despite the weather being clear and the flying conditions very pleasant. Above 2,000 feet it was as smooth as silk! The approach, given some experience, was unexceptional, albeit there was some sheer and the wind was strong and gusty.
As to the training experience I remind well an approach, maybe not dissimilar, that was pushing my limits as a new PPL. Why did I take it on - because I had not experienced strong and gusty conditions during my training - I had little idea the extent of the impact they could have. Seems to me a good instructor will on occasions intentionally allow you to get into conditions which are beyond your envelope. In so doing you will know the environment is unforgiving, something you may not be as aware as you should if all your training is in benign conditions.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 3rd May 2003 at 04:19.