PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2014, 21:56
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not going to go on about a wishlist, nor am I going to post about any timescales for DTV, because I just don't know. From my point of view, I can see where people are coming from in relation to the London flights - but is it really going to work with half-hourly East Coast services from Darlington (with excellent connections to Thornaby & Middlesbrough), or even 4x daily services from Eaglescliffe by Grand Central?

I feel this route is becoming saturated... and any flights to London would just be moving passengers from one mode to another.

Yes, DTV can move forward, and yes, DTV will - but it'll take time and very good planning.
Agreed as far as a generic "London" route is concerned. What is needed, and isn't going to happen, is a LHR-specific route, for a connection to hub (and therefore to the world) and to the booming Thames Valley. This an area that needs serious regeneration and inward investment.

The BD MME-LHR route was supported for over 40 years, through boom and bust. Could its demise may have more to do with asset-stripping of LHR slots by BD's owners rather than the route's sudden lack of viability?

LHR-INV, LHR-JER, and LHR-LBA also ended at the same time. Funny how they all went "belly-up" at the same time.........