PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 2nd May 2003, 18:07
Ascend Charlie

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts
Where are the new young Oz achievers?

I have been wondering where the next generation of achievers is? In my somewhat-isolated situation, I no longer get to meet many young pilots any more.

But for industry associations like the Helicopter Association of Australia (HAA) there is a definite shortage of up-and-comers. Us grumpy old mongrels have almost run out of puff trying to achieve objectives in the face of CASA resistance and incompetence, and apparent lack of support from below. The seiously talented office-bearers like Dan Tyler in Sydney and Rob Rich and Ian Paull in Queensland also have their own businesses - and retirement - to look after. They have spent years - and in Dan's case, decades - of effort for no compensation, to improve our industry.

But we cannot see where the new blood is. Where are the people passionate about the industry in which they are making a living? Those who have a reasonably secure job, and a bit of spare time to devote to an industry association? Who have a way with words, and an understanding of how seriously things like Part 133 are going to kill off the job you are anticipating?

All I can see so far is a group of shoulder-shruggers, who say "Why should I join HAA (or AOPA, or RAAA), what will they do for me?"

The short answer is: Nothing. It is up to YOU to do something if you want a job next year.