PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most farcical lesson yet
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2003, 17:56
In Altissimus
Simplicate and Add Lightness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange how this one has polarised opinion.

I was up (and down, and side-to-side) at the exact same time at Stapleford doing my first familiariation flight in a new type. [No longer BlokeInAnArcher, or even BlokeFormerlyKnownAsBlokeInAnArcher... ]

It was certainly a 'learning experience' but, as I said to the FI over a pint or three afterwards, I would never have gone up in those conditions on my own. I did learn a lot about how the plane handles at the edge of the envelope and my current personal limitations in handling it.

To my point: I wasn't scared because during my early 'training' (in a different place) I had several experiences like Gertrude's. I think it will stand you in good stead and help your decision-making in the future.

Although I hate the phrase, I found learning to fly really was a 'character building' experience. I was shocked about some of the things it revealed to me in my character (and I'm not talking about any drinking-related incidents...), and in particular how high my tolerance for bullsh*t was when someone called themselves an instructor.

Notwithstanding my comments about the value of this particular experience, my advice to Gertrude is to take control of your
flight training - no-one else will!

Good Luck.