PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2014, 08:15
All names taken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we just analyze the 'Dublin threat' from a reality perspective rather than hysteria.
Have you ever tried it Bagso? If you had you would not think of it as such a threat - I did it a couple of years ago and thought it was awful but more recently I flew to the States on an expensive J Class ticket from MAN. My partner wanted to join me but found that the cheapest Economy ticket was £1000 from MAN so she booked a flight with Lingus from DUB for £600 or so.
When we met up Stateside she described the experience as 'terrible', and said she would never do it again, just as I had warned.

The much lauded 'pre-clearance' means having to go through security twice, once for the DUB authorities and once for the US authorities. Once through the virtual border, as she said, there is absolutely nothing to do but be corralled in a crowded Ryanair style holding area with no shops.

Apart from the ceding of UK sovereign territory to the US in order to do the pre-clearance, why would an airport like MAN (or any other) want to get its US bound passengers away from the shops as quickly as possible? since that is exactly what happens - people freak out at the prospect of long queues and missing their flights so they go as quickly as possible to the pre-clearance channel.
Not good business for the airport.

As for the EI transatlantic experience, well, no more needs to be said if you've done it yourself.
No, I wouldn't lose much sleep over the Dublin 'threat' as you see it. But good luck to them.