PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream IV in Bedford MA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 02:42
Astra driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In an earlier post I had hypothesized that this was not an overrun accident, but the presence of tire skid marks running through and off the end of the 1,000ft overrun area would seem to indicate it is just that. What is still baffling to me is that if this is an aborted take-off overrun, why did they not deploy their thrust reversers?

I can only say that from having to perform a near V1 abort myself (due to multiple bird strikes) I was practically bending the T/R levers backwards along with pressing the brake pedals to the firewall when I saw the end of the runway coming up.

The setting of Flaps 10 is equally puzzling to me from this airport, all Gulfstream jets use Flaps 20 as an almost default take-off setting except when taking off from high density altitude airports with long runways, where second segment OEI climb gradient becomes a greater performance limititation than BFL.

That being said, I am aware of some crews preferring to use Flaps 10 as well as a minimum "Flex" (reduced power setting) in order to give their passengers a smoother take-off and less steep initial climb out angle. If this was the case it would likely increase the BFL from well under 4,000ft (Flaps 20, min EPR) by about an additional 2,000ft to just under 6,000ft, but still not enough to explain on overrun of 2,000ft beyond a 7,011 ft runway.