PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Discipline
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 15:23
Laker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caynine,

I have to call bullish#t on your post. In 18 years of flying, much of it in North America, I have never heard a pilot say "comin' down" or "in a flash(wtf?)." Not even in Texas. For the most part NA pilots adapt to EK RT quite quick as stated by a controller on this thread.

What I find amusing is that the people who are so hung up on RT discipline generally stuff it up each and every time they fly to a US destination.

A few examples.

-You ARE NOT EXPECTED to report "established ILS XX." You are just adding to radio congestion when you make that unnecessary call! Particularly in extremely busy environments such as NY. They can tell you are established. Wonder how it would go over with Dubai approach if you gave them souls on board each time you checked in or what you had for dinner?

-On your first contact with a ground controller you are expected to let them know you have the current ATIS. in my experience most EK crews will miss that call or they will give it to Ramp who couldn't care less.

-A positive handover to the tower frequency while taxiing out for departure is not SOP in the US. Passing the last intersection you are expected to switch to Tower Frequency. I've noticed ground controllers just tell EK to switch to Tower because we miss that so often. Notice you don't hear ground telling Alaska or United to switch to tower.

-"Fully Ready." You are ready for pushback or you are not ready for pushback. "Fully Ready" is not a call that's made in NA.

-"Heavy" is used on the initial call to a center frequency and every call to Approach, Tower, and ground.

- At stations like Seattle where the PDC says "read back not required" read back is not required.

But this isn't rocket science and IMHO there is no need to get wrapped around the axle. If you are going to make RT your hot button issue then you stand to benefit from using proper RT in the US as well. Can't we all get along?