PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To do or not to do.
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 06:12
pilotchute

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the OP,

Your 35 and still in the Navy so if you have done more than 15 years you only have to give 6 months notice but if its under 15 years than you have to wait 12 months to start your CPL training (Unless your prepared to go to Jandakot or Bankstown for your weekends which might cut the time down to gaining your CPL by a few months).

That's a long time to wait if your 35 already. I started at 32 and found it very tough due to some factors like age and being married. Most GA companies see this as a hindrance rather than a benefit. Now I didn't say all companies so before I get shot down with "my company prefers older guys/girls" think for a minute if your an entry level company or a company that requires at least a few hundred in the book before you get a foot in the door.

So even if you left tomorrow you wouldn't really be able to search for that first job until maybe your 37 or 38?? That really is pushing it. Not impossible but really pushing it. As you know Brindi's, Vincent, Direct Air, AV8, Alligator and a couple of others have all gone under in the last 2 years. This is an industry in decline. Only get the licence if you can take the hit financially because you may never be able to make any money from it. Took me 5 years to find a GA gig that actually paid the bills and left me with money to put in the savings account.

Get the PPL first just to make sure thats what you want to do. You can certainly do that whilst still serving.