PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To do or not to do.
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 06:04
walesregent

Received 239 Likes on 82 Posts
Whether the prize at the end is worth it all comes down to the individual, so no one can objectively comment on that, but they may be able to offer a few tips about the journey. If I could repeat my path in aviation I would have gone at it much harder (if you can get the balance between hunger and desperation you'll do well). Obviously don't sacrifice a marriage or sell your house or anything but you'll find if you don't achieve things in a reasonable timeframe youll run out of steam.

At the time I was doing my instructors course (3 years after my TIF) I had an instructor who had started at the same time as me but had just gotten his grade one rating. He promptly moved to a big training organisational as a me/ifr instructor and about 2 years later moved on to a big (the biggest, actually) regional. By this stage he was about 48. He was reasonably well resourced but most importantly he was relentless. I,on the other hand, have been flying on weekends for the best part of 7 years (in addition to my day job- this does take a toll on friendships, relationships, etc) and am still some way off 'making it'. I may not regret doing it, but I wish I'd done some things differently.