PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To do or not to do.
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2014, 10:55
emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDND67....

Here is my 2 cents worth, and made as one who was fortunate to spend 30 years in the Airline industry albeit 1963 to 1994.

These days jobs in a major airline are eagerly sought after. The companies have a wide source to choose from and therefore at 35 you are behind the 8 ball. Most,if not nearly all the other applicants will be around the 20 to 30 age bracket and have as much but probably more hours than you.

I agree with your observation regarding morale within the industry.It is very different to the time I spent there. As to the cause, I have no idea why.

Maybe there is so much exploitation these days due to so many guys after jobs and reading some of the stories here over many years it is sad to hear.

Whether your chances with smaller regional airlines are better, others would have a better idea. At least these days there are much more opportunities outside the major airlines.

As for overseas.....I suspect there are more opportunities but also more competition.

At the end of the day its how good a hand of qualifications you hold. Your biggest drawback is your age. You are basically starting out about 15 to 20 years after most of your competitors. That said there are, and I have met , exceptions to the rule.

You pays your money and you takes your chances

There are other avenues that are not age sensitive....instructing, ag flying, charter, corporate flying. I loved the 4 years in GA before joining Ansett.

Obstacles are made to be overcome !

That said, if you decide to push ahead, I wish you well.

Emeritus