PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victoria (Australia) HEMS Contract
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2014, 13:20
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmmm ....

I have to agree with 'Yara ... ' & 'Mark Six' ...

I have had a fair bit of experience flying both types on both HEMS and an Offshore roles and I believe the 139 will be able to do a way better job than the 412.

The 139 is in fact physically much the same size as the 412 so wherever the Bell can go so also can the Agusta.

In terms of speed the 139 will leave the 412 way behind. Fuel burns are close so the sfc with the 139 depending on how its operated should be better.

The 139 at speed is much smoother in flight than the 412 can ever be (having said that the139s approach to land if done too slow might upset some medics ??)

Mark is correct in that soft ground although perceived as an issue by some is really not .. landing close to a primary scene may have downwash issues ... but no more so than with a 412 ... in a lot of cases close to scene landings are not advised so 'not being able to do so' is not a valid argument.

Fact is the 139 is a far more capable platform than the 412 and I doubt that you will find anyone who has experience with both types saying any different .

Cheers

Last edited by spinwing; 1st Jun 2014 at 03:59.