PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 65K Plus for an ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 14:59
Tarmach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't blame Oxford, after all they are in it to make money!

Rather its the mugs that go along with this and pay their 65K + living expenses to be on this course!

One would hope there are plenty of interviews after spending this kind of money, but hey i'm sure the Oxford people probably have some sort of 'get-out clause'! And further to this it’s the airlines choice at the end of the day not OATS on who decides whether they take you on or not!

Really what are people thinking about when they spend 65K, when they can get the same licenses for a lot less!

While there are mugs out there that will pay for such courses and you only need to look at OATs and see, the training schools will keep on doing it!

Its rather like these expensive trainers and sports wear etc. The only reason why they are so expensive is that they know people will pay for them! Albeit there is also an elitist attitude to wearing such as Rockport boots or going to OATs, but you get the general impression!

Really the wannabes themselves are spoiling it for themselves with there easy to please- pay for everything attitude. I realise its a hard world out there to find jobs but if everyone stopped at the same point in their training everyone would be much better off! It would then be more up to the airlines to bridge the gap rather than taking on wannabes who have their own 737 type rating etc.

Airlines would have to rely more heavily on personal qualitites (I know they do already) rather than selecting a pool of candidates who have just spent 80K on a new spanking course and a type rating and then selecting those candidates on personal qualities!

If BA ever wants to boost its profits I'm sure people out there would pay 150K to go on their trainee pilot scheme with job at end! It would prove to be a nice little earner for them me thinks!!