PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2014, 22:55
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is : Wowwwww !

I started this thread after reading an article mentioning this 300 pilots figure.
I read a couple of answers thinking this thread would die pretty quickly.
Never did I think it would reach such proportions.

I have to thank you all, as it was all out pure personal interest. See...I work for an airline that is slowly meeting the same fate in a european country that despite its well known arrogance.....is going down the drain...even going as low as making an extreme right party the winner of the day. It shouldn't be too difficult to peg us !

So, having said that, word has it we too are 300 pilots over bloated and of course reading this Qantas figure raised my interest. We are facing the same headaches as to how this will / can be done. Unlike Australia, our super account only gives us a right to a pension. This pension will however, be paid by the working generation......the very one to see its number decline.
So, not only do we face the agony of a declining airline, but our pension fund will also take a hit until it bites the dust leaving retirees with a fig leaf.

I have read all the bickering about salaries and let me tell you, this kind of discussion happens everywhere.
Fact is, people follow their wallet and give bugger all about the name on the tail, or not that much anyway.
The price has to be right, the product up to par with EK and the likes.
Somehow, our neighbours from across the Rhine with their very respectable airline, do not seem to go through the same aonies as we are and I may risk the crazy idea that this might have to do with management.

When I lurk on the EK forums, I see a lot of complaining about working conditions, crazy rosters, people leaving. I recently flew with a F/O whose mate flies for the other big player in the sandpit. He clocked 110 hours a month.....actually on sick leave which might have a lot to do with his roster.
Boys and girls, I am afraid that this is going to be the trend in the future and wish you ......and myself the best of luck for the future.