PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC24
Thread: Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 23:21
outnabout

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you Morno (and others) I can see the case for using Flash, Shiny Jets for inter-hospital transfers due to time critical patients, crew re-location inconvenience (for want of a better word) and etc. I hadn't considered all that inter-hospital transfers involved.

However, still struggling to see the case for using FSJ for clinic runs.

Morno says - Primary health care - same as the care you'd receive at a normal doctors clinic. However, the services of these are expanding. There's also Allied Health services (physio, mental health, etc.).

B190 says - Central Ops has charter on its AOC, and only uses Specific approved aircraft (pax configured PC12s) on the charters.

So we have a PC12 - previously used for interhospital transfers / medivacs and now reconfigured to commuter seating (as described in the Annual Report) - funded by the Government / sponsors / fundraisers, carrying non-RFDS personnel (I believed Allied Health personnel are not RFDS employees but, as always, willing to be corrected) on a standard charter to a remote community to provide non-urgent medical treatment. Why does this work have to be done by the RFDS in a PC12 ( / King Air / eventually, possibly, PC24)?

In the figures I quoted on charter vs block hours, I do not believe that the charter hours represent all the clinic work available - however, as I am learning all the time, I am willing to be corrected.

FGD135 -
I applaud the RFDS for going to mining companies / corporations etc to fund their new jet. In today's world I believe that is SOP. However, you point out that the government funding is for operational expenses - I am extremely surprised that replacing aircraft doesn't count as an operational expense. In the charter organisations I've worked for, both aircraft replacement and maintenance have counted as operational expenses and needed to be factored into the running costs of the aircraft. Why is this not the case at the RFDS?

Compressor stall -
I am grateful that those with the knowledge on here are taking the time to answer my questions.